The basis for good health

 
Health has no price
Obesidad.net is educational
Visit us continually. You will always find
new advice for your health. Recommend this site.
 
  

Recommend this site to a friend or relative who may find it helpful

 

 

NUTRITION

NUTRITION (V)

CHOLESTEROL

 Nowadays there is much talk about cholesterol and most of us actually have no idea what cholesterol is.

 Cholesterol is a type of fat that circulates through our blood and that when the normal levels are found to have risen this excess fat accumulates in the arteries of our body slowly blocking them until the obstruction is such that the adequate blood flow does not go through which causes a major cardiac infarction (this is when a certain part of our heart completely lacks blood and this zone as it were "dies" and stop working) and this can be lethal.

 The normal levels of cholesterol in blood should have a maximum level of 200 mg/dl.

 In order to measure our cholesterol we have to have fasted twelve hours before the lab exam.

 Cholesterol is not only produced for what we eat. The liver produces 75% of the cholesterol and our food intake produces the remaining 25%.

 There are also other types of circulating fat in our body which are

Chylomicrons
Triglycerides
Lipoproteins

 

 Chylomicrons are small particles of fat which form when we begin to eat and help to better absorb fat.

 Triglycerides are three glycerol molecules (a type of fat) which are generally found to be high when we exaggerate the intake of carbohydrates such as fruit, candy, chocolate and desserts.

 Lipoproteins are proteins with fat and are divided into several groups depending on the density:

 HDL: High density lipoproteins. These are known as protective inasmuch as they do not allow the other lipoproteins which are the aggressors that stick to the cells and cause harm to our body.

 IDL: Intermediate lipoproteins.

 LDL: Low density lipoproteins. These are the aggressors and can cause the most harm.

 VLDL: Very low density lipoproteins and predecessors of low density lipoproteins.

 Treatment for managing the high levels of cholesterol or of any of the disorders mentioned above should be given by your doctor.

 Depending on the results of your tests and the state of your health, the doctor will decide on the treatment to follow. But said treatment should always go hand in hand with a modification of your eating habits and following you will find a guide thereof.

 Therefore, why wait to develop a problem in order to solve it when it is much easier and healthier to prevent it?

FOLLOWING: A GUIDE OF FORBIDDEN FOODS FOR PEOPLE WITH HIGH CHOLESTEROL


Quote of the day:


Your opinion is very important to us

 
 
 



Follow our 18 tips for success in your diet

ęCopyright 1999 - 2002 Obesidad.Net

 

Dear visitor: The object of this web site is to inform and educate. Therefore, the information contained herein does not substitute professional medical attention.
If you have any doubt with respect to this information consult your personal doctor.

Medical supervision by Dr. Arieh Goldberg Kalik.
Bariatric physician, certified medical nutrition specialist. Certificate # 1010084

Any doubts as to overweight, obesity and nutrition :
 

Information about sponsorships of Obesidad.Net: Click here
Comments: Click here